Billions of people around the world use social media every day, but it can be used for more than selfies and showing your friends how much fun you had last weekend; social media can also be a useful tool to boost your career. Keep reading for some surprising statistics and 7 ways you can use social media to get a job.
Over 255 million people use Twitter, and more than 500 million tweets are sent every day. Your future employers are on Twitter, are you?
Here are 3 ways you can use Twitter to find a job:
- Follow Twitter accounts that advertise jobs in your industry, location, or graduate subject.
- Search for the hashtags #jobs and #hiring, many organisations will share career opportunities on Twitter using these hashtags.
- Tweet about your area of interest and engage potential employers in conversation.
Facebook is another social media giant with well over a billion users. Employers often check a candidate’s social media profiles. Make sure you’re doing all the right things to impress them.
- ‘Like’ Facebook pages related to your industry.
- Check your Facebook privacy settings and make sure you know exactly what you are sharing publicly.
- Keep your work and education information up to date.
Two new LinkedIn profiles are created every second. Make sure your profile isn’t just gathering dust with the others. Follow our advice on actively using LinkedIn to increase your chances of getting a job.
- Join relevant LinkedIn groups to engage with future colleagues and employers.
- To find out more about actively using LinkedIn to connect with potential employers read our blog posts here and here.